In addition to the Executive Committee, from time-to-time Australia ICOMOS establishes Reference and Working Groups on various issues, short and long term, which ICOMOS wishes to progress.
All members of Reference and Working Groups are bound by the Australia ICOMOS Code of Conduct for members of the EC & all sub-Committees & Groups. Also refer to the Australia ICOMOS Policy on Committees, Reference Groups, and Working Groups (AI P&P Manual – May 2016 update).
Generally, we use the term ‘Reference Group’ to refer to a group of eminent professionals with expertise in a given area that can be called on for opinions or advice on issues that arise from time to time. As a general rule, we divide these small, ad hoc sub-committees of members into Reference Groups – these are intended to include a core group of members, with specialist skills in a particular area, who are available and willing to provide advise or opinions to the Executive Committee. Reference Groups are ongoing, although membership will be refreshed at least every three years through a call for Expressions of Interest from members. Members will be selected based on demonstrated expertise and experience.
Current Reference Groups include:
- Fabric Conservation Reference Group
- Indigenous Heritage Reference Group
- Pacific Heritage Reference Group
- Strategic Advocacy Working Group
- World Heritage Reference Group
Working Groups are made up of a small group of members established to progress a particular issue according to an agreed work-plan. Australia ICOMOS uses the term ‘Working Group’ to mean a group of members who voluntarily come together on an agreed work program to further particular cultural heritage issues relevant to Australia ICOMOS objectives.
Working Groups will have a fixed life of up to three years which is determined to suit the objectives for which they were established, although the life of a Working Group may be extended at the discretion of the Executive Committee. Working Groups are comprised of members who volunteer to advance the work program of the group. They are selected through a call for Expressions of Interest from members at the commencement of the working group, and are selected on the basis of interest and/or experience.
Current Working Groups include:
- Climate Change and Cultural Heritage Working Group
- Heritage Planning Working Group
- Indigenous Heritage Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group
- ‘Our Common Dignity’ Working Group
- Training and Learning (Education) Working Group
Working Groups that have completed their task and are no longer active include:
- Advocacy Working Group
- Burra Charter Guidelines Review Working Group
- Traditional Trades Working Group
- The Australian Bungalow in Malta Working Group
- ICOMOS Pasifika Project Working Group
- Statutes Review Working Group
If you wish to become involved with one of the current working groups, please contact the Australia ICOMOS Secretariat.